Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Positivity


After yesterday's very negative post, I decided to make a much more positive post today. In fact, I decided to give you a little tour of all the positive stuff I have in my room and bathroom. Putting up affirmations and pictures in my room was a therapy assignment at first, but I found it really helped. When I moved out of my parent's house into my student house, I decided to do the same thing with my room.


This is my full body mirror right by my scale. The quote on it says "A mirror is just a piece of glass and you are worth so much more than that". I personally find a lot of the eating disorder related affirmations don't help me that much. But this one does. It is so completely true, and reminds me that there is more to me than my weight. I'm off to go learn things every day, that's why I'm at school. I can't let my weight determine what I'm going to do in a day.
Underneath is a smiley face and a 10/10 my friends stuck on my mirror. They surprised me one night when I was out, and bedazzled my room. I don't know what I'd do without these wonderful friends.
I have four siblings. They are the reason I decided I would live last year. The reason I would stay alive. Each letter has pictures of one of my four siblings. (Here is a post regarding how I made them)
 As you all know, I have a coffee and tea obsession. I love my hot beverages. I also love my mugs. So why keep them in a kitchen cupboard if I can have them on display? From left to right I have my monkey mug, my jelly bean mug, a mug I sponge painted when I was about 10, my keep calm and carry on mug, my snoopy cookie break mug, and my math and stats society mug. Right under I have all my sweaters. Which I also have an obsession with.
 My friend wrote this quote on the Facebook support page for people who were in the inpatient ward I was in. I really like this quote. Not only is it cute, but I love lipstick. Playing around with makeup is one of my distraction methods, so it seemed perfect.

 I love these quotes. I know they aren't completely legible in the picture, so here they are. The one on the left: "There is still some time. If you feel too much, there is still a place for you here. If you feel too much, don't go. If this world is too painful, stop and rest. If you need a break, it's okay to say you need a break. It's okay to stop and rest. This life - it's not a contest, not a race, not a performance, not a thing that you win. It's okay to slow down. You are here for more than grades, more than a job, more than a promotion, more than keeping up, more than getting by. This life is not about status or opinion or appearance. You don't have to fake it. You do not have to fake it. Other people feel how you feel. You are more than just your pain. You are more than wounds, more than drugs, more than death and silence. There is still some time to be surprised. There is still some time to ask for hep. There is still some time to start again. There is still some time for love to find you. It's not too late. You're not alone. It's okay - whatever you need and however long it takes - it's okay. It's okay, If you feel too much, there's still a place for you. If you feel too much, don't go. There is still some time." -Jamie Tworkowski The one on the right: "You'll need coffee shops and sunsets and roadtrips. Airplanes and passports and new songs and old songs, but more than anything else. You will need other people and you will need to be that other person to someone else, a living, breathing, screaming invitation to believe better things." -Jamie Tworkowski I got these posters from the To Write Love On Her Arms website. If you haven't heard of this organization I highly encourage you to go look them up, they are quite fantastic.


 These are some of my little accomplishments, so I put them in stars on my white board. It is important to never forget the little things you accomplish. The two in these stars have been on my white board for a while. I didn't binge/purge or self harm after two of my exams. I deserve to remind myself of how much of an accomplishment this is, so I put it on my wall.
 This is the top of my white board. On the top left I have my reminders - take your meds, take your vitamins, drink more water, endorphins make you happy and CBT. I have some of my favorite quotes: "Aim for perfection. Though in most things it is unattainable. However they who aim for it, and persevere will come much closer than those whose laziness make them give it up", "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee", "Starving yourself doesn't take motivation, it takes self hatred", "Hard work given time beats talent", and "Everything happens for a reason, and that reason is usually physics". I also have my color coding scheme for my school work, and the HALT acronym. (I'll make a post about this acronym in a bit)


This is my magnetic board behind my desk. I have one of my favorite quote and pictures - the girl made of stars and planets that says "You're body is the piece of the universe you've been given." - Geneen Roth. I have the letter that says I received a summer grant to do research. My counselors card, some Ed Sheeran lyrics, and my note pad. I also have my sun light here, which I have found helped quite a bit with my seasonal depression.



I love to dance. And I love this quote. Who cares what others think, or if others are watching. Just dance.


These are a few of the ways I've made my room and bathroom more positive. I have to live in it, no use in having it bring me down every day. Sometimes these positive quotes and affirmations do nothing. Sometimes they help me get out of bed. Sometimes they help me get my homework done. And again, sometimes they don't help at all. But I'd rather have my room help me sometimes, rather than never.

Have a great day darlings,

-Niqi
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this post and just wanted to say so, I love inspiration thing.

    I also think the live letter pictures of your siblings is a great idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) I just made a post specifically about the Live letters :)

      Delete